Each year, Purim brings with it the spirit of happiness and invigorating fun and laughter. The main theme, as we all are aware of, of Purim is giving. Tezdakah for the less fortunate, and for family and friends it’s mischloach manot (also called shalach manos). With the years, shalach manos have evolved into something more than just a cordial gesture of hamantashen paired with a bottle of grape juice.
Many families take this time to harness their creative side to make their gifts all the more special to those whom they are giving shalach manos to. It makes the gesture all the more special and heartfelt when the Purim baskets are designed and assembled by their own homemade items.
It’s also super engaging for kids who partake in a wonderful mitzvah and can go all out with themed baskets too! What we have compiled here is a list of the Best Gift Ideas For Shalach Manos. We hope they come in handy for you!
- Mini tangerines
- Maple flavored oatmeal scones
- Homemade madeleines
- Apple Jam/Lemon Curd
- Tea Bags
- Marble loaf
As a packaging idea, you could tuck all of these inside a teapot!
- For The Hiker
- Kosher jerky (could be meat or vegan)
- Jar of peanut butter or apples
- Granola bars
- Homemade stew
Packaging tip: Tuck all items into a reusable bottle with a wide-mouth
Breakfast Gift Basket
- Assortment tray of roasted sweet/spicy nuts and dark mini-chocolates
- Organic Pancake Mix
- Real maple syrup
- Ground coffee beans
- Cream cheese bagels
- Packaging Tip: Arrange all items in a neat wicker basket!
- Cheese Addict
- Fig bread
- Assortment tray of cheeses (blue, cheddar, Stilton, Brie)
- Bottle of wine
- Homemade lasagna
Packaging tip: You can arrange everything in a cool galvanized pail
Something Simple and Adorable! The assortment of cookies– dark chocolate, oatmeal raisin, strawberry cheesecake, etc. Paired with a small bottle of milk.
- Exotic spiced nuts and beer (for the older folks)• Mini cupcakes or muffins• Lamb roast and wine
- Middle-Eastern Vibes
- Bowl of Hummus
- Muhamarra dip
- Fresh olives
- Israeli couscous
- Turkish style coffee
- Dried figs
- Date infused chocolate bars
Packaging tip: Pack all items in a basket wrapped with a colorful fabric
And if you’re thinking about an overall continental theme, then try these:
- Israeli: hummus, falafel balls, and pita bread• Greek: tzatziki, salad. and olives• Mexican: salsa, bottle of tequila, burrito platter,• Italian: large neopolitan pizza with small bottle of red wine• American: cheeseburgers, a packet of ketchup, a packet of mustard and a can of coke• One-color mishloach manot: red (strawberries, Red Hots, red grapes, licorice, etc.) or yellow (lemon cake, lemonade, pineapple, etc.)
With The Children
It’s a great time to have your children involved in the family’s shalach manos preparation process. From delivering to preparing, find ways to get your children into it.
This could be through creating mini cookie bouquets. Maybe you could get plastic flowerpots, the kids decorate it with stickers and glitter or even paint it. The older ones can help prepare flower-shaped cookies on sticks! For the base, you can place a cut-out of Styrofoam so the cookie sticks can be fixed.
Have the younger kids pick 2 to 3 friends to send shalach manos to. It could be something simple like a fruit bar, candy, or muffin. Accompany it with a handwritten card and a small basket!
Always try to add a homemade label to your shalachmanos so that it looks more heartfelt and it’s an easy way of design too.
Lastly, there is always food in excess when Purim is around the corner. A lot of families donate instead of exercising shalach manos.