Augmented reality is an innovative technology that has been actively penetrating daily processes. It is an excellent tool for blogging, business promotion, training, and other areas. Every company aims to create an app to expand the customer base. This is a way to effectively improve interaction with users who can order goods or services at any convenient location. Furthermore, the development of the IT industry has made it possible to achieve tremendous results. This is driven by the use of augmented reality tools. One of them is the Banuba SDK.
This technology combines computer-generated objects and our environment. That is, elements created by developers are added to reality, thereby complementing it and diversifying it. This tool is relevant to almost all business sectors, such as:
- construction and architecture;
- online commerce;
Also, augmented reality is relevant for blogging since it helps to improve the quality of content and adds a touch of uniqueness.
1. Banuba SDK to Enhance Photos and Videos
The Banuba SDK is one of the most popular toolkits. It is in demand because of the variety of its features. There are a couple of options available to you: the Video Editor SDK and the Face AR SDK. The first one is designed to improve your finished or real-time video content and includes:
- beauty effects;
- facial masks;
- video effects;
- time effects;
- text overlay option;
- trimmer to trim clips;
- color filters;
- audio editor;
- picture-in-picture tool;
- the possibility of changing the background;
- transition effects when combining several clips.
You can process short TikTok-style videos that will eventually attract the attention of a huge audience.
As for Face AR, the module includes:
- Face Filters with the capability to change hair color, apply makeup and masks, change the background and use avatars;
- Beauty AR for high-quality selfies with spectacular makeup, and smooth skin;
- Web AR for creating extraordinary solutions in a web browser in real-time;
- Unity Face Tracking for tracking multiple faces, adding Snapchat-style masks and lenses, and using live emoticons and animated backgrounds in Unity games.
A variety of features is an opportunity to create an application that changes the content completely. A photo or video will gain distinctive features, which is important for differentiating a product or service among competing solutions. Applications with augmented reality tools will help in the promotion of online stores enabling customers to try on beauty products, wigs, and more.
2. ARToolKit with Beauty AR and Other Tools
ARToolKit is a free module adapted for different platforms. It can be used on Android and iOS, as well as Windows, Linux, and OS. ARToolKit was first released in 1999. Over the years, the developers have made many changes. For example, the latest version includes:
- tracking of flat images;
- generating markers of natural objects;
- capability to calibrate the camera;
- real-time speed support.
The module uses beauty AR as well as other tools for generating perfect images. The toolkit is delivered with several additional plugins. You are offered Unity and OpenSceneGraph. They are used to create powerful effects, simulations, and scientific visualizations.
3. ARKit by Apple
ARKit is a tool for creating augmented reality apps that is only supported on iOS. It employs a lot of contemporary trends:
- the user’s environment is analyzed using data from the camera sensor, gyroscope, etc.;
- fast-tracking of movements and faces is supported, which is necessary for using Web AR;
- models and scenes that can be moved and zoomed (Quick Look function) are displayed.
Apple developers put a lot of effort into making sure that the tools are comprehensible to users and perform the set tasks. Tutorials and ARKit updates are provided with each new version of iOS.
4. Vuforia: Multifunctional Module for Development of Software
Vuforia is an augmented reality toolkit that offers many innovative solutions. It supports the development of marker-based and markerless environments. Its main functions include:
- Ground Plane. It provides the ability to add objects to a horizontal surface;
- Visual Camera. It significantly expands supported image sources so that customers can use more than just smartphone and tablet cameras;
- It provides customizable markers that are used in data coding or face recognition.
The module is intuitive, fast, and easy to use.
5. ARCore: Free Module with Many Features
ARCore is an analog of ARKit. However, in this case, the module is developed by Google and adapted exclusively for the Android platform. You are offered a standard set of features, including:
- motion tracking;
- identifying surfaces and objects;
- light level estimation.
There are also additional options available. For example, there are customizable responses to objects of a certain type and multiplayer mode. The implementation of ARCore Unity enables users to create original effects that will instantly capture the users’ attention.
Toolkits for Creating Applications with Augmented Reality: Feature Selection
You are offered a variety of tools that can be integrated into your application when you develop it. The main advantage of ready-to-use modules is that they are intended as a generic solution. Toolkits save developers a lot of time because there is no need to simulate augmented reality on their own.
When choosing the best SDK, consider the basic criteria. They will help you understand how well the module meets your needs. The parameters are provided below.
- Supported platforms. Most of the tools are adapted for Android and iOS applications. However, if you need kits for macOS or Windows-based software, read the information provided by the developers carefully.
- Cost. The price depends on the functionality offered. The larger the toolkit, the more expensive the subscription. Often developers provide a trial period. During this period you can work with the module for free to get acquainted with its features.
- The capability to recognize images. A very important feature required for augmented reality tools. Identification of objects, places, and images is performed with the help of machine vision, artificial intelligence, and other systems. The feature is necessary to use face filters and other capabilities.
- 3D object recognition and tracking. The feature is considered a must-have for any augmented reality toolkit. It improves the scale-space around the users. For example, when they are in the mall, the airport, and other significant places.
- GPS support. Geolocation is necessary if you are creating an augmented reality application that uses customer location data in its operation.
When it comes to your choice, make sure it is based on your needs. The tools must be capable of full-scale performance of the tasks set during the development of the application.